March 2, 2009

Touch

-Everyone in front of the San Diego temple-

A couple of weeks ago we went to San Diego with my family to play touch. For Americans, touch rugby. Kiwi's - touch. I wasn't allowed to play because I like to fall a lot. Just recently too, I guess being pregnant makes you clumsy and also because I just can't run without throwing up right now. Everyone was so stoked to get out of the freezing winter of Utah and just enjoy being somewhere else that has a beach. I wasn't excited for the drive - all 11 hours of it - in the back of the van with everyone but I wanted to go so I sucked it up and slept most of the drive. We got to our hotel room (eventually there were 9 adults and one baby staying in one suite) cleaned up and wanted to just get out! The first day was just catching up with everyone who came from all over to play (all over Arizona, Oregon and Texas that is) and driving around seeing where we were. Day two was to be dedicated to touch so everyone went to bed sort of early. I spent most of day two filming the games but eventually I got so bored and wanted to play that I joined in the last few games. Most of the game went by pretty well since I was more refreshed than anyone else but as I was going up to get touched this guy elbowed me in the stomach. And not very softly either. That didn't make my brother or husband very happy so I think my brother did a shoulder to the guy (that's love!) and my husband told me I had to stop playing. I didn't listen to him and jumped back on the field. The next game, we told the team I was pregnant and what do you know, one of the girls decides the best place to touch me is with her fist to my stomach. I about punched her face. I'm not one to be violent but seriously - WHY DID YOU DO THAT! I eventually got off the field so I wouldn't throw up or make the boys on my team mad at the other teams. We did come 3rd (out of 3) which I really didn't care that much about cause it was the first time the majority of our team had even played the game at all. At our practices we just ran through drills and warm-ups so the fact that they even knew what they were doing was good enough for me.
While we were in San Diego me, Harris, my brother and his wife, and Tyler (one of the guys from the team) went for a ride down to the Mexican border.
-Mexican flag flying high-

We wanted to cross it but if we did me, my brother and probably Harris weren't going to be allowed back (all brown people that close to the border are Mexicans) but next time we'll take our passports.
-Mexican border patrol, making sure we brown people stay where we're suppo


But I did see the funniest things ever when we were by the border. So we were driving and all of a sudden I see this road sign...

I thought that was THEE funniest thing ever. So I start cracking up laughing, my sister-in-law and Harris do too and as I'm trying to tell my brother who missed it about it, I look to the side of the freeway and see this man and this woman running! Honestly what is that?! They weren't running along the side of the freeway they were running at the top of the hill on the freeway so maybe there was a trail up there but still, why would you go running by the freeway, by a sign that says "caution, illegal families running around". By far the highlight of my trip.

-Tyler, Stephen and Harris at dinner (and that's not alcohol, just the greatest drinks ever from NZ)-

Our little taste of San Diego and touch has motivated Harris and I to go to Nationals next year in San Diego, join the training they're doing in June here in Utah and go to Arizona in November to play. We loved it! It's also a good motivation to get into shape cos we got burned by the other teams...haha we looked so lazy next to everyone else (I won't say fat cos that's just mean). But all up we loved it. Harris got to spend Valentines with my brother and Tyler - eating at a sushi buffet (I didn't mind at all that he went with them - I was way too sick to even be near food), Harris got to eat Jack in the Box and In-n-Out everyday and we didn't have to work. A much needed break for the two of us. It was a long drive, and definitely one I will NOT take again when I'm pregnant. We got home Sunday night and all Monday I was in bed with achey muscles and throwing up :( Boo on Utah! Now we have the travel bug and want to go to Hawaii in June for his family reunion. I'm all for it since Harris's mum wants to pay for me (and not him - hehehe the joys of being the pregnant one). But I won't go without him cos I always miss him too much so we're trying to save so we can go between his Spring and Summer terms. He needs a break, he works so hard for our little family. But that's all for now folks! (I will post pics later when I get home)

-Us at the beach - I think I look a little more tanned than I am now-

-My silly husband taking pictures of himself with weed sunglasses on-

-At the most ghetto swap meet/flea market. They had random remotes and cords everywhere for sale-

No comments: