February 1, 2010

Update on Immigration

For those wanting to know what happened next (Laralyn?) the immigration saga has moved forward but is not 100% resolved. After calling immigration and asking for the official travel document I needed they stated that they had sent it in the mail and it was now lost so I needed to re-apply. Thanks to Beka (an answer to my prayers!) she referred me to an immigration lawyer in Provo who I scheduled an appointment with. The Border Patrol officer at the Salt Lake airport who had my case called me to tell me that if I had my paper already, I didn't need to wait for my appointment on the 28th of January to go to the airport, I could just get this all cleared up now. I told her I didn't have it and that I'd spoken to immigration who said that I had to re-apply and I had abandoned my "adjustment of status" request so I could be deported and the $1500 we'd paid to get this done would need to be re-paid so I could re-apply if I even was allowed to stay in the country. It was a horrible place for me to be mentally and emotionally so I was just ready to pack up and leave (as you all probably recall from my post). This border patrol officer told me she wasn't sending me anywhere and that I was FINE. She said that if my paper didn't come by the end of the month, she would just have me come every month until it came. That way she knew I wasn't going anywhere and I knew she wasn't reporting me to anything. *Bless her heart!* I also told her I had a meeting with an immigration attorney and she asked if it was Kim Buhler and I told her it was - she told me I was in good hands and she'd know how to proceed. My mother had also told me to check with my Aunty and Uncle that lived here in Provo to see which immigration attorney they used and they had also used Kim as well! Out of the mouths of two or three witnesses I tell you. I was stoked to be able to see such a highly recommended attorney and was happy to be finally get some help in the right direction. The day I went to see Kim I stopped off at my house to get our mail and what had arrived but my travel document! It had taken over a month to get here and though it had been approved on Dec 8th, the stamp wasn't postmarked til Jan 11th. I was not impressed with their telling me it had been sent as it obviously hadn't, but I was glad all the same that it had arrived. Kim told me that since I left AFTER the travel document had been approved, I was had not abandoned my status and could proceed with the process. What a relief! She also called the Border Patrol officer who had me come see her a few days later and now I'm fine with that portion of my paper work. I just need to finish having my biometrics taken and my actual request for adjustment of status approved and it should be smoother sailing from there. Thank you all for your prayers I really couldn't have made it through with my sanity in tact without them!

3 comments:

Darah said...

Wow, that is so much to deal with and I'm sorry you have to go through with it. On the bright side, YAY for great attorneys and nice border patrol agents and boo to immigration and their lies about letters being sent, when they weren't!

Crystal said...

that's great news! glad its working out!

BBC said...

yay! i'm so glad everything is going to work out! immigration stuff is always so nerve wracking! kim is awesome! i'm glad she helped!