April 11, 2010

Kids talk

Being a primary teacher is funny. Being a primary teacher of Samoan kids is even funnier. In a regular white ward when primary kids act out you could send them out of the class. In a samoan ward the parents have given you permission to slap their children. In the white ward spanish is another language. In a samoan ward "palagi" is a language that looks a lot like Japanese (hahaha funny story in sharing time today. The primary leader had 'Book of Mormon' written in Japanese, Hebrew and Russian. A kid in our class points to the Japanese writing and shouts palagi which means white people). In a white ward kids talk about their mother being pregnant. In our primary class a boy told us his mum wants to have 17 kids "so she can be on TV like that other lady".
That's just a few of the things I can think of right now. Our primary calling is still just as hilarious as ever. We've had it for almost a year and were moved up with our class at the beginning of the year so we've got the same kids we had last year and we love them. The kids interpretations of events is hilarious too....
*Shepherds look after reindeer
*This one might be racist but it made my mouth drop when the girl said it. I told the kids a story about a Mexican boy and his friend finding money in their shoe after praying to help their poor families. She responds with "yeah my mom told me Mexicans just want your money"
*I asked the kids if they thought it would be hard for Jesus to fast for 40 days. One boy's response? "Oh yeah! My mom said it's hard being 40"
*The kids love playing with our baby. One of the boys told me his parents are trying really hard for a baby....I don't like hearing those comments from adults over the pulpit. We all know what "trying" is, and we don't want to know how "hard" that's going. Hearing it from your kids is forgiveable - until I see you in the halls

ANYWAY, just thought I'd post about something other than the greatness that is Kiona.

5 comments:

Kam said...

haha! luv this post, it was so cute and in a way so innocent, lol! i wanna come to the samoan ward! we're still in our palagi ward and we've managed to mesh but i would love to be around more poly's. those kids sound so cute, haha! poor thing those people are "trying" so "hard", kalofai, haha.

Crystal said...

haha. dang, that scares me. i better watch what I say around my little ones when they are that age. scary. lol.

Cori and Colin said...

haha, that's hilarious! Primary rocks!

Darah said...

Hahahahahahaha, I so agree with what you mean about the "trying" thing because we all know what that means and know one wants to picture that. Like my post, I don't want to explain my life to my neighbor/friend and whether I'm "trying" or not. Ugh. Being in a Samoan ward sounds like it's so much fun!

Darah said...

I think I meant "no" not "know." I'm so dyslexic.