January 5, 2011

Bring on some change 2011

2010 was a long, exhausting year. And I say good riddance!
I hope 2011 is a whole lot better than 2010. I feel I paid some yearly dues last year and should get a break for maybe the next 5 years, but who am I to dictate what happens? I'll still gladly offer my suggestions.
The year has started off interestingly. Our plan this year was for Harris to go to school part-time (he's been waiting to qualify for the Marriott School of Business Management at BYU and you can read about the quality of that program here) and work full time while I either quit work and taught piano or just looked for something part-time and we had another baby. That all changed yesterday.
Our day began poorly. Harris went downstairs to warm up the car (we live on the third floor in a really safe area) and came back upstairs to get baby while I finished getting ready. One of our cars was at the mechanic so he was taking me to my sister's so I could go to work with her and he could take our one car. When he got back downstairs the car door had locked - with the keys inside and the car running. I was trying to hurry and I rushed out the door and locked our house from the inside and went downstairs...to see that we were now locked out of our house AND our car at 6:45 in the morning in single digit temperatures. With our daughter. I said a quick prayer and tried to will something open but nothing budged. We called the locksmith who said they could be out in 5-10 mins, but the guy coming out called to say he'd be at least 45 mins, the trip would be $150 plus anything else he could find to add to that and he was rude. Harris told him we were fine without him. By this time my phone had died so Harris called one of our friends who lives just a couple of miles away and asked that they pick us up so we could warm up at their house (by this time we'd been out in the cold for half an hour). We also didn't have a car seat for Kiona so we had to be very careful on the roads. Good thing they live so close. Harris wanted to break one of our windows to get into the now very warm car but I told him to wait until the mechanic opened (another half hour) and go get our spare key from the other set of keys and we could open the car for free without fixing anything. *GOOD IDEA!*
Our friend took him to the mechanic, he got the key, brought he car over and this same friend took me to work and helped drop off Kiona at daycare. THANK YOU TRINA AND SILIPA!
I figured that was a sure sign of things to come so I braced myself for the day. One of the only things getting me through the long days at work was the thought that I might quit soon. Harris called me that afternoon to tell me that he had been accepted into the Business School. I couldn't believe it. Two reasons why - I didn't know he qualified to even apply for the school and I thought school had already started. I was partially right about the first and 100% correct about the second. Turns out Harris had spoken to the Director of the business school and through their correspondence he was able to apply after their cut off, have his class that was no longer a pre-requisite count towards his qualifying GPA and get accepted.
Can I get an amen?
Blessings I tell you. He also missed the first day of classes but we're hoping this won't be too much of a problem. Either way, our plans for the year have changed but I'm happier with this route. Harris graduates in December of this year, he has a full tuition scholarship, an $800 book scholarship as well as a sweet pell grant (FREE money) so it was a no brainer that he go to school full time instead of working full time and we get him in and out of school this year.
I'm so proud of my hard working husband, we can finally get his schooling finished and move on to the next chapter in our life that much sooner.
So CHEERS to 2011, GOODBYE to 2010, and thank you to Heavenly Father. Sometimes, things just work out...

5 comments:

Cori and Colin said...

Yay!! I'm so happy for you guys!!! Congrats, and we need to see each other soon!!

Lacey said...

I'm so sorry for your rough day, but sounds worth it for the amazing news the rest of the day brought! Congrats to your little family!

Darah said...

That's so awesome, I'm so happy for you guys. Wow, you and Celia were in the same boat with the car locked and running thing, hahaha. Next time it happens, call the police! They usually have a slim jim or something with them in their cars and they're free...you just have to sign a waiver that excuses them if your car is damaged. I locked my keys in my car this past summer and called and they got to my house fast and my keys to and no damage done.

Yay 2011, 2010 did suck. hahaha.

Potters said...

That's great! :D Congrats!

Kam said...

Woohoo you guys! Good job Harris! And I hope you'll be able to quit your job soon Miranda so you can just be a Mommy and play with Kiona all day! Yup, you're right, blessings!!

I locked my keys in the car once and I called the cops to open it. It only took 5 maybe even just 3 minutes and it was FREE! Locksmith people are rip off, lol.

Hope 2011 treats you guys well!