December 20, 2008

Last month... or so

Okay, so maybe I should blog more often and post things as they randomly come up - those are funnier to read than people's novel blogs. But since I haven't been doing that, brace yourself.
So, starting from the most exciting - I just got back from Hawaii. Just me that is. Poor Harris had to stay home and do his finals while I went for my best friend's graduation, and two of Harris's best friends (who came up for our wedding) got married a day apart. Hawaii would've been alot nicer if it wasn't so wet (and humid...ugh). I'm not just talking about a little bit of rain either, the island flooded! Everyone woke up Thursday morning to their homes filled with knee-high water and EVERYTHING got ruined. As a result, when I got there on Friday, the roads were still flooded, the beaches unswimmable and everything STANK.

Check out how badly the place flooded!


BUT I did end up staying in a really nice hotel with a cousin I met there. We went for an early morning swim in the hotel pool that overlooked the beach...mmm paradise!

We had a bridal shower for Brooke, the wife of one of Harris's best friends, Sam - we had to design a wedding dress using every material they gave us. I think Lisa's puffy sleeves are hilarious!



Here's a quick picture of the couple and their wedding party


Harris and his boys dance at every wedding. A tradition that started last Febuary with the first of the boys who got married.

This is them in actionTrust me - it is as funny as it looks


And for those that don't think I'm white - I really AM! I'm just hiding in the shadows making myself look darker than I am.

Another one of Harris's boys got married while I was in Hawaii as well - and for being engaged for only 3 weeks their wedding turned out beautiful! This is love...

And this is the love these boys have for each other...dancing every time

So all in all I had a good time in Hawaii. I wasn't used to the humidity though and it killed me! I did miss my husband too - probably not the best idea going to Hawaii 6 months after we got married without him. Next time we'll go together.

Now onto Christmas...
So, while I was in Hawaii Harris went on a spending spree. He works for a good company that gave him a Christmas bonus and a fridge at their work Christmas party so I came home to quite a few presents! Our first Christmas as husband and wife was really nice. I got a Christmas Tree the day after thanksgiving so we had it up the whole month of December. He bought me my favorite Christmas movie - Polar Express - and we watched it with my little brothers and sisters. I love the coziness of Christmas and this movie just made being back at home so much better.
We spent Christmas day at my sister's with all of my family and we all had a good time just chilling. In my family all we need is food and a good laugh and that is definitely how our Christmas turned out. We spent the afternoon with Harris's family, stopping by to see his grandma who only likes to come out of the hospital on public holidays. Hopefully this trip in is her last and she can just stay home where she's comfortable.
Later that night we went to watch the Curious Case of Benjamin Button with our friends Trina and Silipa. I didn't mind the movie actually - it was kind of weird though. Anyway, due to the heavy snow fall that night and bad winds we didn't make it home after the movie. We left Sandy just after 11 and ended up staying at my sister's in Lehi getting there around midnight. Probably the best thing for us safety-wise. And even though I'm happy it hasn't snowed almost all week, I kind of miss the snow. Not the scary sliding and black ice or anything, but the way the white covers all the dead trees (that look more like sticks), it can cover up the now dirty snow on the side of the roads and at least in these temperatures there's something to do if it snows! When it's cold and there's no snow all you can do is stay inside.
Hope everyone's had safe holidays and my new years resolution for this blog is to update it more frequently so I don't end up having to write such long blogs in catch up. Also - I love my husband. He likes to read these when he knows he's loved in them so I love you Harris. That's it

2 comments:

kava said...

what? u got a fridge for christmas? am i reading that right? lol. I'm afraid to report that Mana was attacked by mosquitos. You are lucky you left when you did....before the blackouts and MORE rain! thus, mosquitos came swarming in like CRAZY and they're still flying everywhere!!! take care! update more :)

Emily said...

I have never seen pictures of Hawaii flooded - Looks messy! What bad timing...