January 29, 2009

Bad Luck

Ok my bad. I know I said I would update more but our laptop isn't working so we can't upload pictures onto it (and what's a blog without illustrations?) but things have been happening for us this year already.
It didn't start out so well though. Two of my really good friends moved to Provo, one from Sandy - half an hour away and the other from Georgia, so I was pretty excited that I had some friends in Provo. In an attempt to show my excitement I set these two friends up on a date so we could hang out without making Harris feel estrogenically overloaded. Yes, I make up my own words alright. Anyway, this date had been in the works for over a month so we finally went on it the first Saturday of January and since it's Utah we went sledding. If you know much about the snow you know that if it's sunny during the day and then cold at night that melts the snow then re-freezes it so it's just ice. HARD ice. I looked around for good hills to go sledding at in Provo and found this big one by the temple - spiritual too! So we went there with the other two couples. Just quickly though, the two girls on the date are white girls, and the two boys on the date are Tongans. One - a tall Tongan. So we went sledding and Fui decided he wanted to go down the jump this group of other people were going down. So he went down and went pretty high off the jump (probably due to his size versus the little white people going down) and his landing sounded like it was pretty hard. He got up (hallelujah when people could stand after going off this huge jump) and decided that since he made it down once he'd go down again. Yes, can you see where this is going...The second time he went down he didn't keep his hands behind him as a sort of brake and wanted the full effect. He went higher off that jump than anybody else we'd seen all night and hit the jump at a funny angle - sort of side on. Because of that it flipped his body and he landed on his head! I didn't know it was Fui going down I just thought someone went really high and landed really badly. Harris was at the bottom of the hill and I saw him run to this guy who hadn't moved since he landed. Fui's cousin Rocky was at the top with me and the girls and he told us it was Fui so we slid down the hill to get to him as quickly as we could. Keep in mind that this is Provo so I don't know if what happened after was because we were in Happy Valley or because people are always easily excited. Anyway, quite a few people made it to Fui before we did and someone called out to call an ambulance - and some guy did so straight away. We got to Fui and this girl was giving him instructions to make sure he was staying conscious and everyone had put their jackets on him to keep him warm. His eyes rolled to the back of his head and his breathing was getting shallower until it looked like he passed out. She kept trying to keep him conscious (no letting concussed people sleep right?) and everybody else standing around in the circle decided they all had medical degrees and proceeded to shout instructions to him. Poor guy, as if being concussed, disoriented and wounded wasn't confusing enough he had 20 people trying to get him to listen to them. Everyone thought there was something wrong because he wouldn't listen to them, I don't blame him. I'd use an injury as an excuse to ignore that many people too. At this point some guy pulled out his keys that had his consecrated oil on them and proceeded to ask Rocky what Fui's full name was. This is a little white guy living in Provo asking for a Tongan's full name - obviously he couldn't keep the full name down so Rocky proceeded to give the blessing much to the dismay of the over helper. Harris stepped in to assist only to be side busted by some eager beaver. I love how everyone becomes instant friends with the victim - nice job guys. Anyway the ambulance came, Fui was not paralyzed *hallelujah!* and the ambulance proceeded to the hospital with us closely behind. We almost got into an accident on the way there, Taylor thinking she could turn left at the lights just because an ambulance did so we almost got T'd by the oncoming car. We made it to the hospital safely and after being x-rayed Fui had nothing too serious by way of injuries. When we knew he was safe we sat in the waiting room laughing about how funny this was now that it was over. We went into the room to see how Fui was doing after they'd changed him to find that physical injuries weren't the only bad thing that could happen. Fui had really bad short term memory loss. Harris and I had been married 7 months at the time of the accident and Fui couldn't even remember we were engaged. He didn't know who the two girls on the date were, what year it was, what city we were in...anything! We laughed about this (in a very sympathetic, poor you sort of way) saying that this was like 50 First Dates and he and Whittney could replay their date. Or as an alternative we could go in and pretend that they were married or something - ok funnier at the time and sounds mean now but seriously we needed something to keep ourselves awake. Eventually the girls left and a few of his friends came down to visit and stayed the night with him in the hospital. The sad thing was that instead of being Drew Barrymore from 50 First Dates, he was more like 10 second Tom. We'd tell him things about where he was, how he got there etc. and a few seconds later he'd repeat himself and ask where he was, how he got there (how great his insurance is - hahaha had to be there). At first it was really sad, followed quickly by frustration then we thought it was hilarious. I told him all sorts of things he probably shouldn't have been told about girls who like him, things that have been going on with other people and 10 seconds later he'd forgotten all about it. Good fun! He has since made a full recovery not remembering everything from that night and forgetting almost everything he was told in his hospital visit but I have a new hesitation about sledding.
The boys before the accident (Fui is in the middle)

Oh, and two weeks ago I found out I'm pregnant - woah

2 comments:

Emily said...

You're pregnant!?!?! Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for the two of you!
Miranda you are so funny to mention such a huge event as some passing side note at the end of your story...
I'm glad to hear that your friend Fui made it out ok. That will be a great first date story... for her anyway.

Cori and Colin said...

That's the craziest story!! Anyway, I'm excited for the pills!!! Hope you're feeling well!!