A few days ago, while sitting at my desk, a few people in the next couple of cubicles were talking about Michael Jackson's death. I quickly hopped on to CNN and USAtoday to validate these rumors of one I viewed as an idol. To my relief and dismay, he was only in a coma after suffering a cardiac arrest so I quickly set those guys straight. "Michael Jackson never dies!" I went down almost every row asserting that he lives. I also found out about Farrah Fawcett and said that people are just mistaking Michael for Farrah. Unfortunately, as we already know, after periodically checking up on his status on either of the aforementioned websites, he died. The most amazing, best and greatest entertainer ever has passed away. I almost cried, sang You Are Not Alone to myself and was very sad to hear the news. I grew up on Michael Jackson. Since 1st Grade, he was my idol. Dangerous was the first album I ever owned. I would sometimes go to school w/ an unbuttoned white dress shirt over a white t-shirt with black pants, white socks and dress shoes just so I could look like him. Everytime I had my hair cut, I asked my mom to cut it like Michael Jackson's. It never did look like Michael's, but my mom convinced me I looked like him. With half a bottle of gel, I'd try to pull whatever I could to make bangs like Michael's. My mom taught me how to play Michael Jackson songs on the guitar...my mom doesn't even know how to play the guitar. She just convinced me that the finger formations I was doing really were the right chords. When I competed in the Fire Knife Dance Competition as an 11-year old kid, I was the first to ever moon-walk in the competition.

I would stand in front of the TV and try to mirror his dance moves until I got it. When Free Willy came out, I only wanted to watch it because Michael's Will You Be There was on its soundtrack, and I forced my cousin to stay through all the credits at the end of the movie untill the song was done. Michael really made me believe that I could "Free Willy" so I would go to the beach literally just right outside my house, swim out 20 yards to a reef, stand on it, and bend down with my finger touching the reef and then quickly stand erect w/ my fingers pointing to the sky hoping that a killer whale would miraculously jump over me. Even as a teenager, my love for Michael Jackson never waned. During training sessions for football w/ a few teammates, I would bump MJ's beats to get me pumped. I was asked to perform as Michael in our high school fashion show and all my boys planned to dress as Michael did in his Smooth Criminal music video, just with different colored arm-bands. At my wedding reception, I paid tribute to the King of Pop and with my groomsmen, performed I Want You Back and I performed a Billy Jean solo.


At my company, Nu Skin's Christmas party, I won a mini-fridge and was asked to dance for an additional $100. So I obliged and became a Nu Skin celebrity for the next couple of weeks.
I defended Michael Jackson to anybody who claimed he was a pedofile. Granted he is a very weird and strange man, and not smart enough to stay away from children after his first law-suit, I firmly believe that he is innocent. I believe that he is in the spirit world throwing an awesome concert and hope that he, Elvis and Bob Marley receive the gospel, if they haven't already. There will never ever be another entertainer as powerful as Michael Jackson. He is the man, the King of Pop. Rest in peace uce.
1 comment:
wow
Post a Comment