August 20, 2013

Mia's first year (a month and a half late)

PREPARE FOR A POST WITH ACTUAL PICTURES!
On July 6th, 2012 at 3:30pm, Mia Herani Grace Mataafa blessed us with her presence.
Labor was relatively easy.
The first three months not so much. She would wake up every 45 minutes at night and would cry for over an hour when I let her. This was especially hard since I went back to work full time when she was 7 weeks old and I was nursing, pumping, and running on fumes since I wasn't getting any sleep.
Then I discovered this program and two weeks after initiating it we had a baby that was sleeping 11 hours a night (a trait she still keeps and exceeds today). Since getting lots of sleep through the night Mia has been a piece of cake. The poor girl was only unhappy because she was tired - I can relate.
To date Mia has 13 teeth and 4 peeking through her gums. She teeths (teethes?) pretty well like Kiki did. She's a little bit grizzly but mostly chews on things and then boom she has 2 new teeth. She still naps twice a day, although since Kiki naps once a day and it usually happens between Mia's two naps I'm trying to re-align the two. Wish me luck.
Let the pictures begin.

 
Mia as a brand new, fresh from heaven baby
 
And here's a comparison newborn shot of Kiki and Mia. Kiki is obviously the top one with no hair
 
 
Mia at 1 month

 
 
Mia at 2 months at her baby blessing - the name of the head piece she's wearing is "Gracie Elizabeth". Mia's middle name is Grace after my grandma who died last year and whom I love. My grandma's name is Grace Elizabeth so the headband was meant to be.

 
Mia at 3 months and gaining some rolls on her thighs. Kiki never had rolls

 
Mia at 4 months. She was a busy little roller by this time as evidenced by her foot in position to throw her little body over
 
 
Mia at 5 months. The poor girl has a square face like me but at this point became a chubby little ball of joy

 
Mia at 6 months. Note the word "mum" on her onesie - purchased from H&M purely for the word mum.

 
Mia at 7 months. This was the only still shot I got of her as she was constantly on the move rolling away from me. Crawling didn't happen but rolling was her preferred method of transportation.
 
Mia at 8 months with her beloved dummy (or binkie). Kiki still sucks on her fingers occasionally and I figure a dummy is easier to break the habit than fingers are as we've tried everything with Kiki and nothing's worked.

 
My chubby little Chinese girl at 9 months. My husband's great grandfather is straight Chinese (my mother-in-law's maiden name is Young Yen) so we attribute Mia's straight, shiny black hair and chingy eyes to her Chinese side.

 
My baby at 10 months. Again, not super flattering of her but she was a busy little body trying to roll away from me and giggling every time I rolled her back onto her back.

 
My naked baby at 11 months. Still got a pot belly but her legs have thinned out since she started crawling
 
 
Mia at her first birthday celebration at Happy Sumo. This girl loves rice so it was win-win for us. Unfortunately we didn't have a party for her. I was wrapping up my last few days of work, my sister (and only family in the area) was out of town her birthday weekend but my dad was in town with my little brother from NZ so we rushed off to Happy Sumo last minute. Sorry Mia, but you won't remember next year and you got lots of chocolate cake which you loved and I took you shopping at Blickenstaff's which you also loved.
 
My girls having a Sunday at the Mt Timpanogos temple. One of my fave temples and some of my fave pics of the girls
 
An older pic of the girls taken when Mia was about 3 months and Kiki had just turned 3
 
Ever since she was born my nephew Koa has adored her. He still does and when he sees her he calls out "Mia Mia!!!" and gives her lots of love and attention. She likes to rub his soft hair
 
Mia was a little lamb for Halloween *AWWWW*
 
Complete with a little lamb tail
 
Mia used to pull this funny face ALL THE TIME - sort of a goofy smile. I'm glad I captured it cause she hasn't done it since she was 5 months old
 
At our Ward Christmas party I was in charge of decorations - including a photo booth. This was one of the 30 props I made and I love this pic of Mia.
 
Remember my story about Mia's bloody nose? I got a pic of it and it still makes me sad
 
 
Mia is so sensitive! She cries if she can hear any ounce of being told off in your voice even though she doesn't know what you're saying. In this pic I told her to stop scratching her sister and she bawled. My poor sensitive girl - mummy will harden you up in no time. MUAHAHAHA


The next 3 pics are of the same thing, and definitely my favorite thing Mia does - cuddles. If she sees something remotely soft at her level she will put her down on it and pat it. A pillow, a body part (boobs and butts are usually her body part of choice since they offer the most cushion), a shoulder, a leg. You name it, she's coming in for the cuddle.

 
 
 Cuddle my leg while watching TV why don't ya?


 Rubbing her soft pillow made by a lady in our ward

 

Taking pics at church with daddy. When she sees herself on camera she always opens her mouth, then sticks out her tongue and giggles.

 

As evidenced by this pic - her cousins and sister were laughing and copying her. I love these four monkeys!


 
I take my girls to the park every morning so they can play and I can workout with the women in my Ward. It's a win-win arrangement

 
At Ward Camp. The giraffe print double chair belonged to my parents and they bought it 10 years ago and it's still going strong. It's super soft, a lot lower than most kids lawn chairs and it's GIRAFFE PRINT!! These little ladies were having a blast chatting in a language no one understands but Tommy, Chuckie, Phil and Lil *name that show*

Mia Bear - you complete our family and you make such a good baby sister, and have turned Kiki into the best big sister. You have cuddles for everyone, smiles for days and the sweetest giggle. I love you more than you will ever know and every second of awful nausea and days of 10+ episodes of vomiting were worth it because you are the sweetest blessing. Don't break daddy's heart yet our little daddy's girl xox

No comments: